Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Sorry I haven't posted anything in a while...Here is what I've been doing in the last week.

Monday and Tuesday we had no school because of a Buddhist holiday. We didn't really do anything on Monday and then on Tuesday we gave food to monks. Sorrawee came into my room at like 6:30 and told me we were going. I wasn't really expecting it, so I was tired all morning. We brought rice and juice and other things to the temple, then they had a short service to bless the food. There were so many people there that they had to keep pulling chairs in from outside. After the blessing had ended, we lined up to give our food to the monks. They sat at tables with an orange cloth in front of them. Women are not aloud to hand things to monks, so we place the food on the cloth.
I met this monk who had just returned from the United States. He was very excited about it and listed off all the states he went to. It was an interesting conversation. After we finished at the temple we went to a smaller one a little ways out of town. We had a short blessing, then talked to the other people there. I met a little 8 year old who is a swimmer.
That afternoon we met him at the pool(i have been swimming a little, but I'm sure I'm out of shape). Turns out he probably has the best technique I've ever seen in an eight year old. He swims free and breast, but his mom wants me to teach him fly.

Wed, Thurs, Fri, and Mon my school had exams. I went to school on Wednesday, but it was pointless, because everyone was testing. I think tests here work differently. 1-3 had tests on Wed and Fri, while 4-6 had tests on Thurs and Mon. One class is in one room all day and a teacher gives them the tests.

We spent this weekend in Bangkok. I think one of the biggest things I've gained from that experience was the knowledge that I never want to live in a city that big. We spent hours in the car driving across town. We went to a museum(i learned a lot about the different kings), saw the Emerald Buddha, and went to see a nearby floating market. Most of the weekend was spent with family though. I met my other host sister and her boyfriend, three of my host cousins(and their families), and Sorrawee's Ex. All those hours in cars together...
The floating market was really cool. We wandered around on the edge of a river and bought so much food. Then we took a boat ride around to see the area. I liked the Emerald Buddha too, the art and gold work were amazing.

When we arrived home, we unpacked and went to bed. Unfortunately, I woke up at midnight and threw up. They took me to the hospital(they go to the hospital for anything here) and they think Sorrawee and I had food poisoning. The only thing that only Sorrawee and I ate was...Pizza. I've been warned not to eat from street vendors, but we really haven't been that careful. Of course when we order pizza from a restaurant we get sick. Anyway, I spent Tuesday and Wednesday this week recovering and will hopefully go to school tomorrow.

It is sport day at school this week. I'm really bummed that I missed the first day. I have no idea what happens on sports day...but I will report back to you as soon as I know. I do know that on Friday there is going to be a parade, and I get to play my seesaw in it. I'm really excited, and we are going to buy a seesaw so i can play it for everyone when I get home.

1 comment:

  1. Please... tell us about Sports day, and your second parade! Time for more pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete