Friday, August 6, 2010

Sports Day

I think Sports Day is awesome- we should really do something like this in America. There were four teams(blue, purple, pink, and green). I'm technically on no (or maybe all) team, but all my friends were pink so i cheered for them. My school had sports day for 3 days(others only have one day). I missed the first day, but I think it was mostly soccer. I spent most of Thursday practicing my seesaw for the parade on Friday. I Watched my friends play soccer though. They were playing in a muddy field with no shoes (they didn't want them to get dirty). I have enough trouble kicking a ball on cement with shoes on.

Friday was lots of fun. It started out with a parade, then some sports and cheerleading. The parade was fun, hot and long. I played my seesaw with seven other people(three drums, three seesaws, and two cymbals). We wore these orange shirts with traditional Thai pants. The pants are really just huge pieces of fabric tied up in a special way.Each color team put together a float and costumes. My team(pink) won the parade contest. There were so many strange and beautiful costumes(I'm lazy and you can see them on flickr)
I have a word of advise for anyone who is in a parade. Those pretty high heels will not work when you are standing for hours. I have seen so many shoe problems in the two parades I was in. More advise, bring sunscreen...my face, neck and legs got sun burnt(my first time this summer)

In the afternoon I watched and cheered. The events were running, tugawar, sackracing and cheerleading. I can't tell how they picked who was going to participate, but I think they just let anyone who wanted. The field was still covered in mud, so it was fun to watch everyone running around and getting covered in mud.
The cheerleading was crazy. They had some of the strangest outfits i have seen yet. It was a big deal and everyone had a part(cheering, clapping,pompoms...)

The Green Cheerleaders


The Purples


The Blue


And the Pink

I sat in the cheering stands all afternoon. It was hot, and I sweated a lot, but I'm used to that now. The cheering is really cool, because they have everyone do the same thing at the same time. We wore white gloves and clapped, waved our hands around and did a lot of jazz hands. You can see me in the second column on the left, in the middlish row(I'm the light one with blond hair).

Other news...

I bought a seesaw!! I'm so excited to play it for everyone. Now I have to figure out how to get it on the plane...
Sorrawee went back to Bangkok. I'm in for a challenge now, because she did a lot of translating for me. She is going to a meditation class. These classes sound super intense. They get up at 4 every morning, aren't aloud to talk, don't have dinner and have to wear white.
I spent yesterday with the other AFS students from the Buriram and Surin provinces. We went to the elephant village and silver making village and sang Karaoke in the car. It was a lot of fun, I liked hearing about other experiences, and it was a relief to be able to talk easily with everyone there.
I posted more pictures on Flickr this morning. Lots from our visit to the emerald buddha(no pictures of it, thats not aloud)
I forgot to tell everyone!!! I got a hair cut when I was in Bangkok. Its length is about the same as some of my other cuts, but the bangs and back are very different. I have to actually do things with my hair now...
I'm approaching my last week here. Now is the time to stuff a those "I should do that before i go" in. I have so many things I still need to do, and I can't even think about packing(I still haven't gotten anything about going home from AFS). I'm really starting to regret picking only a summer.

2 comments:

  1. How tall are teen girls in Thailand? I'm 5'6" so would I be tall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I love your blog and your exchange experience stories. I'd like to inform you about an intersting project... Could I have your contact?

    ReplyDelete