Sunday, July 4, 2010

Just got to my host house...after way to long on a plane and a car ride.

my flights to Denver and La went all right. the one to denver was boring but to La they had a movie. the bags took forever in La and i arrived to the orientation last. i was very suprised to find that there were only 12 of us. 1 for year and 1 for semester and the rest for summer. We sat threw the orientation...with the time change most of us were ready to go to bed. we finally got to bed around 11 and every one was up in my room at 5(time change) :(.

around 1 we got on the plane to leave for hongkong. i was so excited to get on that plane...for a 13 hour trip. my seat was 63 E(both flights) out of 70 rows. that means we were all in the back of the plane and my seat was in the middle of the middle three...and my tv wouldnt work! everyone else had this cool little show showing where we were flying or a camara of what was under the plane. mine just said loading...loading...loading...the flight attendents had to restart it twice before i could get it to work.

i didnt sleep much on the plane. i slept a little in hongkong- i slept on the floor and everyone thought i was hilarious. this flight was shorter-only 2 hours and we arrived in thailand just before midnight. buy the time we got through immigration, got our bags, and exchanged money, it was 1. it took 40 min to get to the hotel and i was asleep by 2.

at ten the next morning we went down the the orientation. there were many germans and italians with other countries sprinkled in there. the italians were the biggest group, with 35ish, they were loud but i had fun trying to understand what they were saying. Im amazed at how well everyone could speak english. i don't think i could go to an orientation and listen to my second language. In the evening we had a welcoming ceremony and i met my advisor, who is the english teacher at my school.

The next morning (this morning) i met my host parents. we drove my car to Surin-about 6 hours. on the way we stopped at the floating markets-very cool. There is so much to see in Thailand. I wish i wasn't so tired and carsick so i can enjoy it more, but i'm still so excited. My parents speak some english and we can communicate. I brought a book about Madison and they loved the pictures of the fall leaves. My father loves biking, and i think he has done some triathlons. They keep offering me food, and i feel bad because i'm really not hungry.

Tomorrow i will go to school- i'm nervous and excited. I have a feeling I will get many stares. Already, people look at me everywhere i go- i guess its the blond hair...

i haven't figured out how to put pictures up yet, but cameroninthailand2010.blogspot.com has some good ones of our trip.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Your blog looks great. Now I want pictures. ;-) Be sure to get some of your house, your school, your classmates, your family, EVERYTHING. Since I can't be there to see it, you have to send/bring me pictures!

    ReplyDelete