Sunday, July 25, 2010

Parade

There is some Buddhist holiday going on right now. We had a parade yesterday and now no school for 2 days. I think the holiday has something to do with giving food to the monks but I'm not really sure.
My school decided that I should walk in the parade...this includes a Thai costume and walking forever in 90 degree weather. The parade was huge-many schools from all over Surin put together dance routines and floats. My school had its(famous) marching band, a giant candle float and a group of dancers.


My part was getting all dressed up. The whole thing turned out amazing, but it was a long day. We went to a salon around 11:30 to do make-up, hair, and costume. I have no idea what they were saying, but I think they found my hair, skin and eyes really funny. Because most of the people dressing up have short haircuts, they usually add black extensions. The hair guy was going to try adding black hair to me...but he decided against it. We were finished at around 1:30 and went back to school, we took photos, had lunch(very hard to do wearing lipstick) and sat around until 3. We wandered over to get ready for the parade which would start at 5. By the time the parade started, I was very hot, had eaten tons much ice(my mom was afraid I would get dehydrated), and wanted to get going.
The parade walked from outside town to the train station, then half way back. So many pictures were taken (I think the blond hair caught everyones eyes) and everyone was exhausted when we got back.

2 comments:

  1. Wow--what a transformation! Not a Sarah I'VE ever seen! Amazing experience-- keep writing S!

    ReplyDelete